This one-of-a-kind birding tour will take you across diverse climatic zones in Sri Lanka to explore and observe some of Sri Lanka’s most unique avifauna and other wonders of nature.
Your tour begins in Kitulgala where you can encounter some fascinating species of birds including the endemic Sri Lanka Wood Pigeon, the White-faced Starling and Green-billed Coucal. Then visit the virgin Sinharaja rainforest, which is considered a biodiversity hotspot where 95% of Sri Lanka’s 33 endemic bird species can be found. Udawalawe National Park has also become a popular spot for bird enthusiasts and is home to species including the Red-faced Malkoha and Crested Serpent Eagles. Here we can “bag” a good number of “dry zone” residential birds. Tour the Bundala Park, which was declared Sri Lanka’s first Ramsar site with its 197 species of birds including the migratory Greater Flamingo,and then the famous Yala National Park which is home to 215 different species of birds and Sri Lanka’s flagship mammals the Asian elephant, sloth-bears and leopards. Then en route to Nuwara Eliya you will visit Hakgala where the endemic Dull-blue Flycatcher is the star of the botanical garden. See the awe-inspiring Horton Plains and spend the night in Sri Lanka’s hill capital Kandy. We will also take you to the KuruluKele Bird Sanctuary in Kegalle to tick off anything you may have missed, before you unwind on the sandy beach of Negombo for a final day of relaxation.
Your accommodation will consist of handpicked hotels and glamping sites, designed to minimize time spent in travel. This will allow you to have the maximum time to focus on your holiday in Sri Lanka and enjoy your accommodation, destinations, and the amazing cuisine.
Ideal For – Bird lovers who are eager to explore the wilderness and admire the beauty of these creatures. Solo travellers/ couples/friends/families with kids and teenagers / small groups consisting of friends and family are welcome.
Highlights at a glance
- Birding in Kitulgala for the endemic species and nocturnal birds.
- Birding in a UNESCO Natural Heritage Site; Sinharaja Rainforest.
- Capturing dry zone species in Yala, in Udawalawe and waders in Bundala National Park.
- Birding in 1 of six Ramsar Sites in Sri Lanka; Bundala National Park.
- Hill Country birding at Nuwara Eliya & Horton Plains National Park.
- Learn the process of making the world's finest Ceylon Tea.
- Get blessed with the Buddhist rituals at the most sacred Temple of Sacred Tooth Relic in Kandy.
- KuruluKele Bird Sanctuary in Kegalle for more birds plus a variety of plants.